Zahid’s corruption trial put off to June 15

The trial of former deputy prime minister Ahmad Zahid Hamidi on 40 corruption charges in connection with the foreign visa system (VLN) scheduled at the High Court here today, has been postponed to June 15.

Deputy public prosecutor Raja Rozela Raja Toran said the postponement was made following the two-week total lockdown implemented nationwide starting today.

 

Zahid’s corruption trial

“When the trial resumes on June 15, former principal assistant secretary at the home ministry’s immigration affairs division Siti Jalillah Abd Manap (third prosecution witness) will be recalled to testify, together with a new witness,” she told reporters through WhatsApp.

The trial had initially been scheduled to proceed for three days this week.

So far, two prosecution witnesses have testified before Judge Mohd Yazid Mustafa.

Zahid is charged with 33 counts of receiving bribes amounting to S$13.56 million from Ultra Kirana Sdn Bhd as an inducement for himself in his capacity as a civil servant, then as home minister, to extend the contract of the company as the operator of a one-stop centre (OSC) service in China and the VLN system, as well as to maintain the contract to supply the VLN integrated system paraphernalia to the same company.

He allegedly committed the offences at Seri Satria, Precinct 16, Putrajaya and in Country Heights, Kajang, between October 2014 and March 2018.

The charges framed under Section 16 (a)(B) of the Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission (MACC) Act 2009 and can be punished under Section 24(1) of the same Act, provides a maximum of 20 years in jail and a fine not less than five times of the value of the gratification or RM10,000 whichever is higher upon conviction.

On seven other charges, Zahid was charged, in his capacity as home minister then, for accepting S$1,150,000, RM3,000,000, 15,000 euros and US$15,000 without consideration from the same company which he knew had a connection with his function.

He was charged with committing the offences at a house in Country Heights, between June 2015 and October 2017.

Check Also

The government cannot open a case against Asif Ali Zardari

The government cannot open a case against Asif Ali Zardari

No limits can be constrained on wants, there have been various shocks before yet not …

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *